01452 733962 info@theswac.org.uk

What Is The Apprenticeship Levy?

In April 2017 the way the Government funds apprenticeships in England changed. The Apprenticeship Levy requires all employers operating in the UK, with a pay bill over £3 million each year, to make an investment in apprenticeships. The Levy will be charged at a rate of 0.5% of the UK annual pay bill.

Please contact us to discuss in more detail

Estimate Your Levy Bill

Non Levy Employers

Our support to you remains the same; we will continue to provide solutions for  your Apprentice Employment.

We will provide support on the funding changes (Co-Investment funding) and link you to high quality registered training providers, and more importantly support you with planning your  apprentices progression into continued apprenticeship development.




Levy Paying Employers

We are able to provide impartial guidance for maximisation of the Apprenticeship Levy and oversee negotiations with training providers regards funding/ enrolment/ delivery schedules to meet your business operating requirements.  

We can provide you with recruitment services; ensuring  you are employing the best emerging talent from school leavers to graduates as we are highly experienced in working with young adults entering the workplace.

ATAs’ are still in a position to operate the ‘Hosted Employment’ apprentice model for Levy paying employers, and as such we are still  able to offer the Apprentice Employment  service to you however, you will be required to pay the 10% Co-Investment as per non levy paying employers.

Apprenticeship Levy – FAQ’s

Can I use Levy funds to pay an ATA (SWAC)?

No. Levy funds can not be used to pay for the services an ATA provide.

However there are plans to allow levy-paying employers to transfer funds to other employers (including ATA’s) from April 2018. levy-paying employers will be able to transfer up to 10% of the annual value of funds entering their apprenticeship service account. They can transfer funds to any employer who is not part of their group, including smaller employers in their supply chain and apprenticeship training agencies. Employers will need to be aware of ‘state aid’ rules when receiving funds from other organisations.

Can I use Levy funds to pay an Apprentices wages?

No. The cost of the apprentice wages can not come from a levy account.

Are there still incentives to recruit 16-18 year olds?

Yes. For the recruitment of a 16-18 year old there is a support payment of £1000 to employers. £500 is paid after 3 months and £500 paid at 12 months.

Once we have spent our Levy can we employ more apprentices?

Yes. Once you have used all of the Levy funds you can recruit more apprentices and will be required to contribute 10% of the cost of the training and the government will pay the remaining 90%.

How long do we have to use our Levy funds?

You have two years from the month the funds are paid into the account. It is a rolling expiry date.

© 2022 The South West Apprenticeship Company, All Rights Reserved | Powered by Pixxel Protect

Share This